Minds Matter NYC is looking for a Development Manager to join our staff.
Minds Matter NYC connects driven and determined students from low-income families with the people, preparation, and possibilities to succeed in college, create their future, and change the world. For 30 years, every Minds Matter NYC student has been admitted to a four-year college or university.
Over the last several years, Minds Matter NYC has experienced tremendous growth—nearly doubling the size of the student body, expanding the size of the volunteer corps and staff, and growing the annual budget. The organization is poised to dramatically expand both its service population and scope of services as part of its 2025 strategic plan. Minds Matter NYC seeks an enthusiastic, organized, and motivated Development Manager to support this growth by broadening and deepening the organization’s individual giving campaigns and initiatives, providing support for fundraisers, and ensuring smooth back-office operations.
As a member of a small development team, the Development Manager reports to the Director of Development and works closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors. This is a highly collaborative position that works with stakeholders throughout the organization, including all members of the Minds Matter NYC staff, the volunteer corps, and the Associate Board.
This position requires 5-8 years of development experience, ideally in individual giving campaign management with a starting salary of $55,000 (non-negotiable). Minds Matter NYC offers full benefits and a fun and flexible workplace.
Minds Matter NYC takes responsibility for creating a diverse and inclusive community. We believe that starts with engaging people at every level of the organization who reflect, celebrate, and affirm multi-dimensional identities. This allows all of us to broaden our thinking, deepen our understanding, and expand our views on what is possible. We invite and encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.
- Team player who is ready to learn and grow with the organization
- Self-starter, eager to own projects and make them successful
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Creative and enthusiastic
- Passionate about the Minds Matter NYC mission and the organization’s values of community, commitment, and growth
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Comfortable speaking to a range of audiences of various sizes
Essential Responsibilities: Individual Giving
- Manage a combined individual giving portfolio of $370,000 in FY22 (expected to increase annually)
- Devise, improve, and execute Minds Matter NYC’s major individual campaigns, which emphasize peer-to-peer fundraising
- Steward and expand Minds Matter NYC’s monthly giving program
- Collaborate with programs team to message corporate match and volunteer grant opportunities
- Proactively build relationships with the volunteer corps and the Associate Board
- Support the Executive Director and Director of Development with major gifts stewardship and cultivation
- Steward individual donors with the timely and thoughtful appreciation
Essential Responsibilities: Events
- Work with the Executive Director, Director of Development, and Board of Directors to devise, plan, and execute the fall gala
- Provide support to the Associate Board as they devise and execute a variety of events over the course of the fiscal year, including a large-scale spring fundraiser
- Support the Associate Board and Board of Directors in planning and executing small fundraising events for volunteers and donors throughout the year
- Manage the recruitment of runners for the NYC Marathon and NYC Half Marathon teams and ensure that runners reach their fundraising goals
Essential Responsibilities: Operations
- Manage Salesforce database by logging donor and donation information, cleaning up donor data by manually adding revenue codes and soft credits, and tracking volunteer and donor communications
- Contribute to the creation of all communications, such as monthly newsletters, impact reports, appeals, and no-ask updates
- Consistently update website content and post on various social media platforms
- Manage online fundraising platforms, including Classy, Double the Donation, Fundraise Up, and others
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5-8 years of experience in development (education or youth development sectors preferred but not required)
- Able to manage complex tasks and multiple projects and timelines
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds
- Able to convey organizational message articulately and with enthusiasm
- Capable of working independently as well as collaboratively
- Previous experience with CRM databases, such as Salesforce, preferred
- Must be available to work some evenings and approximately 10 Saturdays per year
Minds Matter NYC is committed to reducing bias in our recruitment processes. In lieu of a cover letter, please complete an application (linked below). Treat your application as a standalone document that will be reviewed prior to and separately from your resume. However, please be prepared to attach a resume in PDF format for later review.
Please submit your application here.